Sunday, May 20, 2012

New Moon Planting.

Tonight is the new moon!

We planted in the early morning, but I waited until the sun was setting to plant my chamomile seeds. I was so excited to get them into the ground! For Christmas presents this year, (keep in mind most of my friends and family do not celebrate Yule)  we are going to be giving homemade tea.  I am so excited about this, so I am trying to get our patch as big as I possibly can. We have a good batch going already, so we are fairly optimistic!

During the new moon, lunar tides are causing water to pull up, which in turn keeps seeds extra moist, and causes them to swell up nicely. This is the perfect time to begin planting above ground crops. Grain crops, as well as lettuce, broccoli, and cauliflower do exceptionally well during this phase.
The new moon is also a good time to transplant crops. The ground is retaining the moisture, so the water will go straight to those roots, creating less transplant shock. So if you have any seedlings started, now would be the time to put those bad boys in the ground!

I have also read a theory, it stated that if you weed during the new moon, those weeds are guaranteed to never grow back. That is an interesting theory, I wouldn't mind trying myself.


On another note, I have been searching out Hecate lately, and I think tonight I may leave her a nice offering of honey and sage. Hopefully she'll like that. 



http://www.gardeningbythemoon.com/phases.html
http://www.moongrow.com/moon_phase_gardening/gardening_by_moon_phases/new_moon.html

No comments:

Post a Comment